Wednesday, September 9, 2009

WIS Instrument NIght Weeeeee!!!

Almost every kid at the WIS (Winfield Intermediate School) 5th and 6th grade center, plays in either the band or orchestra. Adler was soooo super excited to start orchestra. She has chosen the violin (which is great because we had a violin already!!!) and I think it will fit her perfectly. On the first day the teacher said that smart people are in orchestra and that just made her day!! I think she feels like this is something that is brand new for her but not scary at all, just right... She is growing up sooo darn fast, sometimes I just can't believe that she is 10 and sooo independent (then she picks a fight with her five year old sister and I remember...oh yeah, we still have some growing to do!!!) So, back to instrument night... this was a first for me so I didn't quite know what to expect and let me tell ya I WAYWAYWAY under estimated it!!! We walked into the WIS commons area (Heath and my old middle school cafeteria- oh the memories!!) and right into our first line of many we were soon to discover. We got checked in and headed to the orchestra table, spoke with the instructor about what all she would need, beside her instrument,
to get started. After that I was thinking...whew the girls are being super-good and that was a breeze. HA!! That was about the time we were directed to the un-airconditioned gym along with about 100 of our closest band and orchestra families!!! HOLY SOUSAPHONES BATMAN!! There were no signs and about 12 different lines so I had NO idea what to do. I asked the first person I saw that I knew and she directed me over to what she "thought" was the right table. I did end up in an orchestra company's line, but of the strings, book, and of the strings, book, and
shoulder rest we need they only had the strings. Not only that, the lady was quite obviously HATING her job by the time we got to her because she barely helped us and when I asked the difference between the foam and attachable shoulder rest she just gave me the stink eye and said "it is a matter of preference." Great sales pitch!!! I just stared at her wondering how we were supposed to have a preference when neither of us had ever played the violin?!?!! And that was right after another lady cut right in front of us in this 20 minute long line!! Who cuts in front of a little girl and a very pregnant woman?? WHO?? Thank heavens I had Chelo with me because while I was finding out I would have to go to another company's line to try to find the things we needed, she was playing in the other end of the gym with Crosby (Who at that point was DONE with instrument night!!) We got to the front of the other line and got the things we needed then had to go back to crabby lady and cancel our ticket because she wanted me to order shoulder rest and book from her of course! So you can imagine how excited she was to learn that we would only be needing the strings from her and that we would need to have our ticket cancelled and re-written!!! We finally got everything situated and got the heck outta Dodge City!!! FUN TIMES!!

No comments:

Post a Comment